Thursday, March 19, 2009

THE CARPENTER.


Can't tell me this isn't hot for 10am.


The Nursery School!

Today was very, very busy. I got up at 7 to go for my usual morning run and then weighed babies all morning. RCH Clinics are always hectic but today was extra wonderful because it was here in Kuraw, and it showed me just how many people I actually know in this village.

After having lunch, I rounded up the village children so that we could go to the carpenter’s to get the furniture for the nursery school project I am working on. After hunting down the carpenter and him yelling at me for an average of 7 minutes and 32 seconds, the kids piled into his backyard and immediately began hefting the benches and tables. It was quite the sight to see! I lagged behind at the back of the train, and as I carried the end of the bench around the corner, I looked in front of me. Stretching about a tenth of a mile were children and furniture galore. I stopped, completely taken with the sight in front of me… thus causing the bench to fall as well as the children helping me carry it. They all shouted exclaims of surprise, but I just stood there. In the distance, I saw 5 boys struggling with the extra-large table by the pump. Behind them were two girls balancing chairs on their heads. Next in line were about 9 pre-school age children attempting to drag Bench #2… and I followed with Bench #1. Edrissa and Elijie [2 high school boys] came out of my compound and immediately helped the younger children with Bench #2. It was just another one of those moments where I was almost overtaken with joy. I cannot describe it, but The Gambia is really helping me to appreciate the small things in life.

No comments:

Followers