Friday, March 20, 2009

Forst Fyr: Git On Yor Tant

Maiyo in the garden
Amie in the garden

The walk back from the Garden :o]

Just a quick blurb before I go eat dinner with my family… was hanging out with the women next door today, playing with their babies and helping them crack peanuts when the Mosque’s PA system went off. It was 3 o’clock, NOT time for prayer, and when I asked the women what was going on, they said, “Fire comes now now.” Let me preface this by saying at 1:00 it was 120 degrees outside… so at this point it was BRUTAL and we were all dripping with sweat.

I start freaking out as large clouds of smoke billow towards Kuraw… and the women start asking me why Liz isn’t dating Bakary. Suddenly dozens of men go sprinting past the compound, machetes in hand, yelling, “We go to the bush, we fight the fire!” …with machetes. No water. I saw one bucket and it was empty [Ashley later informed me that true forest fire fighters do not use water. Shows how much I know!].

Needless to say, the fire is still burning. It is on the very outskirts of Kuraw and is quickly heading towards Diabugu. My days here are so wonderfully frightening, I don’t know how I haven’t lost my mind yet!

Oh and ps…. The dog that I named Dean Pritchard pooped out a mass of white, wriggling worms today. I almost vomited. I don’t even want to know what’s in my GI system, what with all this diarrhea I’m having.

Kuraw's on fire!

No comments:

Followers