Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Meaning of Family

Just a quick blurb --- not the best day, I did not do as well on the language test as I thought. I bolted out of Babucar’s house and headed straight for Whitney’s where I proceeded to cry on her porch as she was fiddling madly with the lock on her door. I am past being capable of feeling shame. Needless to say, Tammy soon filed in with Brendan on her heels. I have never felt more like I had a family here than I did today. I realize that I was acting absurd but for some reason, it really set me off. They were all there for me in their own ways; in fact, Brendan suggested we have a Christmas party tonight to help cheer me up. Whitney and I biked to Kwinella, bought a kilogram of macaroni, a can of tomato paste, clove of garlic, and 5 loaves of bread. We just made the most amazing pasta dinner ever… Brendan brought white chocolate covered Christmas tree pretzels with green and red sprinkles. He also grabbed some gingerbread cookies he had received in the mail. Tammy showed up with her bag full of Christmas room spray, hot apple cider packets & hot chocolate packets, and her iPod with speakers, tuned to the Christmas genre. We have been rocking out and celebrating Christmas the only way we know how in this hot, tiny village.

Well, time for me to pack this up, we are hooking up Brendan’s PSP to my computer so we can watch Charlie Brown’s Christmas. I am a bit homesick but also feeling so blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people.

I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams….

No comments:

Followers