Monday, December 15, 2008

Tendaba

Well, I’m back at Tendaba and I am drunk blogging. Over here in the Gam, they sell such things as Gin, Whiskey, and Brandy packets at bars for 5 dalasi each… which in American money totals about twenty cents. Needless to say, when we went on one of our field trips to Soma, a bunch of people stocked up on gin packets and that was my dinner tonight. Sometimes, you just need a piece of home… even if it comes in a little plastic bag.

I guess I should start by describing Tendaba. Basically, it is a camp in a small village in The Gambia. It is right on the river and is full of mosquitoes. There are a bunch of huts and motel-style rooms, with a few buildings [used for training purposes], a couple bars [excellent], and a kitchen/buffet/dinner area. I’m not a huge fan of the place itself, but I love being around everyone again. I have made such amazing bonds and relationships with so many of my fellow trainees that I feel so blessed to actually have them in my life, even though I’ve known them for not even 2 months.

ANYWAY. Received some mail today, a few packages and a card from Andy. A little heart-wrenching… but something I needed to read. I guess I have a few things to say. One, I’m in this for the long run. I don’t plan on coming home anytime soon. This is something that has taken root inside my heart and it has blossomed into this amazing need. I’m here, and I’m going to do what I set out to do; I need to just find the means to do it.

This isn’t to say that I don’t miss home, because I do at times, however, I don’t have any desire to be home. It sounds awful… but I’m here for a reason, and it feels right.

Anyway, I’m going to head back down to the bar.
Love love loves.

No comments:

Followers