Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tendaba Dos... or Fula, if we're using Mandinka

I’m seriously not loving being here at Tendaba. I love my roommates and being with everyone, but I really miss my host family. And I’m concerned about Faatu and hope she is doing okay… I’m at the point where I can’t remember what I’ve written and what I haven’t, so long story short: she’s really sick and is in Kombo. I’ve heard nothing since they took the GeleGele on Wednesday. She better be back and in nothing but good health when I return home to Bumari.

[Quick definition of a GeleGele: think of an old school Volkswagon bus used as a ‘bush taxi’. Fill it to the maximum with Gambians and Senegalese. Stack large piles of plastic chairs, luggage, goats, rams, sometimes even sheep on the top of this bus. VERY dangerous… we’ve had several tip over. I am determined to get a picture, it’s ridiculous and borderline insanity… and by that I mean, it is PURE INSANITY].

Lizzy and I had our first language session with Ida today to learn our second language, Sarahule. A little overwhelming, considering we have our second language test in Mandinka in 2 days. I’m excited to be learning about all the different groups in the Gambia and to become fluent in their languages, but it’s a lot to take in at once. I mean, in less than 3 weeks we will be by ourselves in a village with no language or cultural facilitator. On our own. YIKES! I’m terrified yet super excited all at the same time.

Just wanted to write a quick blurb before I headed off to get dinner. YUMMM. Still can’t believe I’ve lost 9 pounds since being here, what with everything I eat.

No comments:

Followers