Saturday, November 15, 2008

I May Be Sane Now... Maybe.

Well, now that I’m in a better state of mind, I feel as if I can write about what’s been going on. Yesterday was incredibly overwhelming, hence the fact that I only wrote in list-style. Yesterday was the Big Bang. Yesterday was the “Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.” Yesterday was the epiphany that I was actually in Africa. Maybe it had to do with the fact that four of us were dropped off at this random village, surrounded by several children. We turned to look back at our bus as it sped down the dusty road and on to the next village… I can only imagine what our faces looked like.

I used the latrine! I made sure to bring my can of bug spray with me and attacked those neon-green flies the second they came out. Rather interesting, actually. And when I have to go numero dos, or have to 7667, or ‘doughnut’, I throw on my headphones and just hang out. That way, I don’t hear everyone having conversations in mandinka around me and forget that there are people gardening less than 2 feet away. Yikes! It’s a lot harder than it seems, let me tell you!

I talked with Liz and Marnie last night. My compound is the middle destination point between all three of our villages. Marnie is under a mile from me [thank you Jesus!] and Liz is about 3 miles in the other direction. I think Liz is going to bike over tomorrow, we have a lot of free time and all three of us seem to be a little overwhelmed, to say the least.

I can’t get over putting bleach in my water. I was told it’s the same as drinking pool water, but I don’t go out and dunk my head under the chlorinated pool and guzzle. I know I need to start drinking more but…. Yechhhh!!

The bed net. I don’t even know where to go from there. I dreamt all night that I was in a coffin. We’ll just leave it at that.

Today has been super mellow. We ate breakfast together [my family made rice with peanuts! I LOVED IT. It tastes like the oatmeal I ate every morning in radiation!]. Then Brendan, Whitney, Tammy and I walked to Kwinella with Kate [she is a PCV who is approaching completion of service next week]. Kwinella is about a mile’s walk and the scenery is beautiful. I took pictures so be ready for me to post some soon!

I am incredibly thankful to my host family, even though they cannot understand a word I say to them. I live right next to the cook of the Peace Corps, so my meals are AMAZING. Ps. It’s just like National Geographic here, if you get my drift. I am totally going to be walking around topless soon. Just you wait!!!!

Well, I’m going to go out into the heat and find my family to see if I can practice more of my language skills. Wish me luck… as I am sure I will need it. Miss all of you so much!!!!

No comments:

Followers