Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Land of Rocky Balboa

Well, I made it to Philadelphia! It's currently 9:50am and I have been up since a little before 5. The drive to the airport was fine. I squished myself into Marsey's car and we pretty much rode in silence. Not a lot of tears once we got to Portland; just send me on my way. When I put my bags up on the scale, I was in shock; 140lbs COMBINED! That's more than my entire body weight. I think I was still sleep-deprived, as I passed out before the airplane was in the air and I woke up drooling as we were landing. I am also pretty sure I had been snoring [which NEVER happens], as my mouth was wide open and the old man next to me was staring in horror at the drool smeared across my face.

But anyway.

Navigating through the Philadelphia Airport was interesting. I could not for the life of me find the Holiday Inn Shuttle, I couldn't walk more than 10 feet without stopping to take a breather [thanks, luggage]. So, I attempted to 'hail a taxi'. Yeah. Right. 

Next thing I know, I'm struggling to heave my large bag off the sidewalk towards a taxi when this angry taxi driver crawls out of his car behind me and starts yelling at the cab driver who is helping me. Seen the movie 40 Year Old Virgin? Picture the old guy who works at the store with him who is always saying he doesn't wear a turban on his head and doesn't walk around saying, "Do you want a slurpy?" Except this man had a turban. And my cab driver was Jamaican.

Needless to say, funny yet borderline uncomfortable.

I get to the hotel safely [$29 later!!!!! On top of the $100 mum dished out at the airport for my obese baggage]. I paid the nice taxi driver and tipped him a little extra; "hey lady, this bag is really heavy!" Yes, I know, I see the beads of sweat popping out on your forehead and my arms are still burning.

I got stuck in the circular doors. Does anyone realize how embarrassing this is? IT STOPPED MOVING. I started panicking and this nice Australian man wiggled my 'lighter' bag through the crack and carried it in for me while I tried to shove the doors ahead and push my black bag in. Seriously, I'm going to be in big trouble once I get to Belgium.

Did I mention that the first thing I notice about my hotel is that it's located directly adjacent to the Philadelphia Fire Department? Wonder who that immediately reminded me of. Goodness, I'll be missing you something awful.

Well, it's time for me to find some food [perhaps smooshed pumpkin bread? oatmeal creme pie crumbs?] and attempt to rearrange all my luggage. My goal is to find 40lbs to transfer and stuff into 2 backpacks.

Wish me luck...
xox Kase


6 comments:

Andy Turcotte said...

well wear that fire shirt with pride.. and you are too funny... wipe away that drool and have a great day in the city of brotherly love.. lots of love.. AT

XxuntouchedxX said...

I love ya lasse!!!! And I miss you tons!!!

and let me tell you, when I post this my verification word is "vidilee" and it is green....sorta makes me think of the irish!!!

Erin Pendexter said...

Kasey,
It was nice to talk with you prior to your departure to Belgium. I love you, will send babywipes and other items on Friday - Lord only knows when and if they will arrive. Michael and Kelly are both in awe at your adventure and both took your address. I will forward the blog site as well.
Love you,
Mom

Nick Stone said...

Hi Kasey - I'm following your adventures with fascination and at the same time learning how to be a blogger. Shedding 30 pounds in moments suely qualifies you to make millions with some weight loss scheme wnen you return, but in the meanwhile you'll be doing good work for all mankind. keep the news coming, and maybe one day we'll knock on that mud hut "door" and surprise you.

Erin Pendexter said...

9 Nov 2008 Although I expected I may not hear anything until a written letter arrived; the waiting is difficult at best. I pray you are having the time of your life adjusting to a new culture.

Uncle Charlie says use banana leaves, a little scratchy when they are dry so use the green ones:)
Love, Mom

Erin Pendexter said...

I received 2 phone calls yesterday that I believe were from Gambia! Yet, the first I could not hear anything and the second I could hear voices in the background. Despite my many attempts at Hello I received no response. The country code was 220 - Gambia. Good news I hope.
Love you Kasey,
Mom

Followers