Monday, November 17, 2008

Naming Ceremony

We had our naming ceremony today! My Mandinka name is Saatu Demba, and I absolutely love it. We were all dressed up in beautiful Gambian clothing, were given pancatos [which are like doughnuts…heavenly!], and then danced. Fun, entertaining, and interesting… the entire village showed up for this, so it was pretty cool.

After that, we had a few hours of language training, and then Brendan and I decided to do some goat-hunting. He has the cutest little white goat in his compound [and he still has his umbilical cord, so he’s super young]. We were playing with him and I named him Mustafa. Now everyone in Brendan’s compound calls him that as well… it took me forever to get the kids to understand that I was not going to call him ‘Baba’, which is mandinka for goat.

I’m wiped, it’s not even 8pm and I’m ready for bed…. So off I go.

No comments:

Followers